Registration for private landlords (Scotland)


If you’re a landlord letting out your own property in Scotland, you must register with Landlord Registration central online system for Scotland.


If you’re planning to rent your property out to 3 or more unrelated people, you’ll also need a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) licence.

You must give the council:

  • your name and current address
  • the address of each house you own
  • details of any co-owners
  • details of any agent who will manage lease or occupancy arrangements for you
  • any other information required

To become a registered private landlord, you must be a ‘fit and proper person’. The registration process will take into account:

  • convictions for fraud, firearms, sexual, violent or drug offences
  • any anti-social behaviour orders against you or any of your tenants
  • any unlawful discrimination
  • breaches of letting codes, housing law or landlord and tenant law

When you advertise your property for rent, you must give your registration number in the advertisement.

You must tell the council if your circumstances change or if any information you have provided is no longer correct. If you get an agent to manage lease or occupancy arrangements for you, then you must tell your local council and may have to pay a fee.


Your registration will be valid for 3 years from the date the council approves your application. After 3 years you will have to renew it.

How to apply

You’ll need to apply to your local council. You may need to pay a fee.

Fines and penalties

If you rent out a property without being a registered landlord, you could be:

  • fined up to £50,000
  • banned from being registered for up to 5 years
  • served with a notice stating that rent will not be payable on your property for a certain period

If your tenant or a visitor of your tenant behaves in an anti-social manner, you could be served with an anti-social behaviour notice. If you fail to comply with the terms of the notice, you could:

  • be fined up to £5,000
  • be subject to a management control order where your local council will take control of the property for up to 1 year and receive any rent

You could also be fined up to £1,000 if you:

  • give the council false or misleading information
  • don’t give all the information you’re asked for
  • don’t tell your local council of any changes to the information you have given
  • don’t tell the council when you appoint an agent to act on your behalf


Popular posts from this blog

Electrical Boilers in Glasgow

Landlords (EICR) Electrical Testing (PIR)

Landlord Safety