Showing posts from June, 2015

Cosumer Unit / Fuse Board Changes In Glasgow

BS 7671 Amendment 3 & changes to  Consumer Units As you may be aware there are changes being made to the wiring regulations BS 7671 with Amendment 3 which is due to be published in January 2015. One of these changes is expected to involve consumer units installed in household premises and is focused on the material their enclosures are manufactured from. What is driving the changes? Investigation into several fires involving plastic consumer units, by the Strathclyde Fire Brigade, has concluded that a key cause of the fires was substandard cable connections made by the Electrician. These resulted in overheating, which eventually ignited the plastic enclosure. How has Hager been involved with the proposed changes to consumer units ? As a result of the investigations into consumer unit fires, proposals have been made for changes to the Wiring Regulations. Hager has been closely involved in the development of these changes by prov

Smoke Detectors and Co Alarms to become legal requirements for landlords

Landlords in England and Scotland will be required by law to install working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their properties from October 2015, it has been announced. According to Housing Minister Brandon Lewis the move will help prevent up to 36 deaths and 1,375 injuries a year after a consultation showed strong support for the measure. Fire and rescue authorities in Glasgow are expected to support private landlords in their own areas to meet their new responsibilities with the provision of free alarms, with grant funding from the government. Lewis explained that it is part of wider government moves to ensure there are sufficient measures in place to protect public safety, while at the same time avoiding regulation which would push up rents and restrict the supply of homes, limiting choice for tenants. ‘In 1988 just 8% of homes had a smoke alarm installed but now it’s over 90%. The vast majority of landlords offer a good service and have installed smoke alarms in t